Saturday, August 2, 2008

Study Island - Principal's Desk

Well, as you may have extracted from the title......I have taken a different path for the 08-09 school year. After 20 years in public education, I have decided to pursue another avenue of learning for students that I am very passionate about - online and virtual learning environments.

This was the most difficult decision that I have ever had to make, and although I am excited about the opportunity that awaits, I am also very sad to leave the principalship at Hyer. No principal could ask for better parents and students.....I have been truly blessed these last 5 years.

One thing that I have always told my two boys is that I hope that they are never afraid to step out and take a risk. Now obviously that doesn't apply to all things that teenagers encounter, but I think you understand what I am talking about here. This is just one of those times when I am modeling what I hope that I have instilled in each of my boys. To me this is what life is all about.......stepping outside of that comfort zone on occasion and trying something new. This opportunity at Study Island will allow me to continue to explore and develop student learning opportunities, but through a slightly different lens.

I guess the best way to encapsulate my decision is through one of my favorite poems and one that I have shared with my two sons for as long as I can remember.


The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.




Thank you again for allowing me to be the principal of the best school in Texas.....I am forever changed and better for it.


Greg Smith

No comments: